Vegan cream of mushroom, kale, tempeh soup.
Not too long ago a good friend gave me and Justin this amazing book, The Vegan Stoner Cookbook! Easy, cheap, and fast vegan grub! The best part about it is all of the little illustrations for each dish and every ingredient…absolutely adorable! They remind me of my little water color sketches. I’ve been wanting to try out a few recipes and finally decided on the vegan cream of shroom soup. It’s getting a little chilly in LA and figured this recipe would be an awesome first soup of the season.
I love how the recipes are super easy to follow, and don’t have exact amounts. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to measuring so this is my kind of cook book!
- Slice 2 handfuls of shrooms and a few stalks of kale. (I used way more kale and 2 small boxes of pre-sliced shrooms)
- Cook shrooms in a pot with coconut oil and 2 spoonfuls of tamari. (The cookbook calls for margarine and soy sauce, but I opted for a slightly healthier version)
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup veggie broth and a spoonful of flour. (The cookbook calls for soy, but I love anything coconut. Since I used more veggies, I threw in more liquids).
- Mix in a sprinkling of cumin, thyme and chopped kale. (I also added some pressed garlic)
- Add 1 packet of sauteed tempeh cooked in sesame oil. (This isn’t in the cook book, but wanted to make it heartier).
- Lower heat and stir til kale wilts.
Doesn’t this look delicious?!? So glad I have leftovers for lunch today. There’s so much variety in the cookbook…I love the super stoner recipes like the “Mac and Peas,” and “Banana Dog.” There’s also some pretty mean smoothie recipes that I’m going to be trying soon.
Linking up with Funday Monday